Four-time Paralympian Dylan Alcott is one of 10 people invited by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to represent Australia at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II in London next week.
Alcott, the current Australian of the Year, was invited according to the wishes of the Palace, which extended a welcome to 10 Australians “who have made extraordinary contributions to their communities and who represent Australian culture and values”.
The Prime Minister’s Office announced on Tuesday the 10 people who will attend Her Majesty’s funeral alongside the PM, the Governor-General David Hurley and acting High Commissioner Lynette Wood:
- Dylan Alcott AO – 2022 Australian of the Year
- Valmai Dempsey – 2022 Senior Australian of the Year
- Dr Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr Baumann AM, 2021 Senior Australian of the
- Shanna Whan – 2022 Australian of the Year Local Hero
- Saba Abraham – Local Hero 2022, Queensland
- Kim Smith APM – Local Hero 2022, Tasmania
- Trudy Lin – Young Australian of the year 2022, South Australia
- Danny Abdallah – Co-Creator of i4give Day and Foundation
- Chris Waller – Inductee, Australian Racing Hall of Fame
- Professor Helen Milroy – Western Australia Australian of the Year 2021
“I am honoured to be accompanied by these Australians who will join me, on behalf of Australia, in paying our respects to Her Majesty The Queen, Elizabeth II,” Mr Albanese said.
“Each of these extraordinary citizens represents contemporary Australia, and quintessential Australian values such as respect, inclusion and helping others.”
By: David Sygall, Paralympics Australia
Posted: 13 September 2022