Classification for athletes with a vision impairment
Athletes with a vision impairment compete in football 5-a-side, goalball, Para-alpine skiing, Para-archery, Para-athletics, Para-biathlon, Para-cycling, Para-equestrian, Para-judo, Para-rowing, Para-shooting, Para-swimming, Para-taekwondo and Para-triathlon.
Athletes must specify a sport when they are seeking classification. While the testing procedure is standard across all Paralympic sports, the classes are sport-specific.
Who is eligible to compete at the Paralympic Games?
To be eligible to compete at the Paralympic Games, athletes must have at least one of the following diagnoses:
- Impairment of the eye structure
- Impairment of the optic nerve or pathways
- Impairment of the visual cortex of the brain.
Athletes are classified according to their level of corrected vision and must have an impairment in both eyes that meets the minimal disability criteria of visual acuity that is less than or equal to LogMAR = 1.00 (6/60) and/or a visual field that is less than a radius of 40 degrees.
Athletes are required to provide medical documentation from their ophthalmologist prior to seeking a classification.
What are the classes?
For information on classes for athletes with a vision impairment, please refer to the Classification Information Sheet for Athletes with a Vision Impairment or one of the sport pages linked above.
How do I get classified?
Athletes can request a classification here or by phoning Paralympics Australia on 02 9704 0500.
Athletes will have their classification outcomes recorded on the Masterlist for their sport. Please refer to the sport pages linked above for more information.
- Classification Information Sheet for Athletes with a Vision Impairment (updated Jan 2020)
- Provisional Classification Application for Athletes with a Vision Impairment (updated Jan 2020)
- Medical Screening Form for Athletes with a Vision Impairment (to be completed by an ophthalmologist prior to attending a face-to-face national classification assessment)
- National Classification Form for Athletes with a Vision Impairment
- National Classification Medical Review Request Form