The 2017 Australian Para-cycling Road National Championships came to an exciting conclusion with 20 riders crowned national champions on Saturday in Somers, Victoria.
17 riders completed the time trial and road race double, headed by reigning world and Paralympic champion Carol Cooke (VIC), who claimed another clean sweep in the women’s T2 category.
Former Paralympic swimmer Amanda Reid (NSW) continued her flying cycling career, claiming gold in the women’s C3 road race to add to her time trial gold from Friday, off the back of two gold medals at the Track World Championships in March.
Dual Paralympic gold medallist David Nicholas (QLD) picked up another gold in the men’s C3, with Kyle Bridgwood (QLD-C4), Simone Kennedy (NSW-C3), Darcy Thompson (SA-C1) and Meg Lemon (SA-C4) also riding to the top step of the podium.
Grant Nickel (NSW-H1), Michael Taylor (VIC-H3), Grant Allen (SA-H4), Stuart Tripp (VIC-H5), Emilie Miller (NSW-H1) and Karen Murphy (WA-H4) took out the handcycle crowns, with Garry Robinson (NSW-T1) and Stuart Jones (NSW-T2) reigning supreme in the tricycle.
Both Lindy Hou (ACT) and Kieran Murphy (SA) backed up their time trial performances to take gold in the tandem.
After claiming silver medals in the time trial on Friday, Gordon Allen (NSW-C2) and Bronwyn Dolman (SA-C5) proved strongest in the road race, while time trial bronze medallist Daniel Van de Laan (NSW-C5) backed up well to win his first title.
Road Race Champions:
- Men’s Cycling C1: Darcy Thompson (SA)
- Men’s Cycling C2: Gordon Allan (NSW)
- Men’s Cycling C3: David Nicholas (QLD)
- Men’s Cycling C4: Kyle Bridgwood (QLD)
- Men’s Cycling C5: Daniel Van der Laan (NSW)
- Women’s Cycling C2: Amanda Reid (NSW)
- Women’s Cycling C3: Simone Kennedy (NSW)
- Women’s Cycling C4: Meg Lemon (SA)
- Women’s Cycling C5: Bronwyn Dolman (SA)
- Men’s Handcycle H1: Grant Nickel (NSW)
- Men’s Handcycle H3: Michael Taylor (VIC)
- Men’s Handcycle H4: Grant Allen (SA)
- Men’s Handcycle H5: Stuart Tripp (VIC)
- Women’s Handcycle H1: Emilie Miller (NSW)
- Women’s Handcycle H4: Karen Harvey (WA)
- Men’s Tricycle T1: Garry Robinson (NSW)
- Men’s Tricycle T2: Stuart Jones (NSW)
- Women’s Tricycle T2: Carol Cooke (VIC)
- Men’s Tandem: Kieran Murphy (SA)
- Women’s Tandem: Lindy Hou (ACT)
By Cycling Australia
Photo with thanks to John Gondek/Cycling Australia